Camper Van Insurance

Campervan Insurance FAQs

Questions & Answers on Campervan and Motorhome Insurance

1. What Documents do I need to go on Camper Van Insurance cover?

To proceed with camper insurance or motorhome insurance, we will need the following:

  • Fully Completed Proposal form
  • Copy of your 5 years No Claims Bonus
  • Copy of your current motor insurance Certificate of Insurance
  • Utility bill (must be connected to the residence e.g gas, electricity bills and Not for example Bank Account statement)
  • Copy of drivers’ Licences’, front and back, for all drivers

***Why not Click here to download a copy of our checklist.

2. Do I need a primary Vehicle to insure a campervan or insure a motorhome?

Yes, you must own and insure a private car and have full time use of this car.

3. Are there any Age restrictions for campervan insurance or motor home insurance?

There are no age restrictions for named drivers who hold a full licence for 5 years or more

4. Can I add additional drivers to my campervan insurance or motor home insurance Policy?

There is an Option to add additional drivers who are members of your family who hold a full licence for 5 years or more and have a clear record with no accidents claims, convictions or penalty Points You can avail of open drive for an additional cost of €80 a year (inclusive of 5% government levy and Broker Fee €1.25). Please note that open drive applies to family members only aged between 25 -70.

5. What are the definitions of a campervan for this Scheme?

Campervan means a vehicle which has been designed, constructed or adapted to provide temporary living accommodation which has an interior height of 1.8 metres (6ft) and incorporates the following: Permanently fitted equipment: seats, sleeping accommodation (which may be converted from the seats), cooking facilities to include a two ring cooker at a minimum, a sink unit and storage facilities.

We can cater for most types of campervans and motorhomes

6. Can I insure a campervan or insure a motorhome on Foreign plates?

Yes, Aviva will allow 30 days cover for vehicles on foreign plates but they must be re-registered in the Republic of Ireland within 30 days of purchase.

7. Can I suspend or cancel my camper insurance or motor home insurance Policy?

Suspension of the policy is not available at the policyholder’s request and no credits apply on imposed suspensions.

8. What countries am I covered to drive my camper van  or motor home in?

You are covered for up to 30 days in any one period of insurance in the EU. You are also covered for a number of non EU member stated too. The full list of countries in which you are covered for up to 30 days in total in any one insurance period is as follows; Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus (South), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian mainland (west of Urals), San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (excluding Ceuta and Melilla), Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey (in Europe) plus Uskudar, Ukraine, United Kingdom (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man), Vatican City and any offshore islands of the above, except overseas territories outside of Europe. Green Cards and Bail Bond can be issued on Request prior to travelling.

9. What if I need to take my campervan or motor home abroad for longer than 30 days in any one insurance year?

You can apply for an extension to this limit prior to going abroad and we will consider details and advise you. Please call us at 01 2881779 or email us at [email protected]

10. Can I tow a Trailer with my campervan or motor home?

Single axle and ‘a frame’ trailers are covered automatically for Third Party only cover.

Stuart Insurances Ltd

What else do we insure?

  • Caravans
  • Mobile homes
  • Holiday Home
  • Your Primary Residence
Brokers Ireland
Motorhome Gathering